Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cubs manager "I smoked weed too"

Yesterday, the news came out that Cubs catcher Geovany Soto tested positive for marijuana at the World Baseball Classic earlier this year.

This caused him to be banned from international competition for two years. However, the Cubs player can continue to play in Major League Baseball, where he makes his money.

And, to help things out, he has the support of his manager, Lou Piniella. In large part because Piniella announced today that he experimented with weed as well:
"Look, I have smoked dope one time in my life," Piniella said before the Cubs faced the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. "And it didn't do a damn thing for me, and I never tried it again. I'm fortunate because of that. A lot of people do. You can even buy it in California from a pharmacy.
The Cubs played their cross-town rivals the Chicago Whtei Sox on Friday. And the White Sox manager also had Soto's back:
"It takes a man to admit mistakes. He's not the only one doing that. But he's the only one admitted to come out and say that. I wish more players come out and make this an example. He just made a mistake. He did something he wasn't supposed to do. Meanwhile, I tip my hat to him because when you make a mistake and admit it, you move on."
Soto said it was an isolated incident. But does anyone really believe that?

No comments:

Post a Comment