Thursday, October 8, 2009

Confessions of a MLB ball hawker

Crazy.
Hample is a pro. He carries a cap for the home team and the visitors (more on that shortly). He has a streak to maintain (at least one ball per game attended since 1993), a reputation to uphold (he's written a book about ball-snagging, which essentially makes him the Dan Brown of books about ball-snagging) and an ongoing competition to win (he's currently in first place in an online ball-snagging league, and yes, there actually is an online ball-snagging league).
I've been to a number of minor league baseball games and two major league baseball games in my life, and I've never really been close to snagging a ball. The closest I've come is when I was at batting practice before a San Diego Padres game in 1998.

It was a game where Mark McGwire hit a home run (I remember two home runs, but apparently he never hit two home runs in a game while in San Diego in his 70 home run season, so my memory must be mistaken) -- but it was in batting practice where McGwire hit a blast to left field that was directly at me -- but five rows too far beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment