Wednesday, May 27, 2009

World Series of Poker through the eyes of Doyle Brunson

I am always intrigued by seeing poker on TV. About half of my friends are the types who will talk about the latest developments in the World Series of Poker while the other half can't change the channel fast enough if they change to ESPN2 while the WSOP is on (which seemingly is every day).

ESPN.com has an article on Doyle Brunson "the only legend."

Brunson won two WSOP main event titles, back in the 1970s, and has ten overall bracelets. And he thinks he could have even more.
Focused on cash games, not recognizing the value that would one day be placed on bracelets, Brunson failed to win one from 1979 to 1991, opting only to play in the main event and 2-7 lowball championship each year. "I never did play in many tournaments," Brunson admits. "A guy like Phil Hellmuth has played three times as many tournaments as I have. I have no idea how many bracelets I'd have today, but obviously it would be more. I didn't pick a couple of mine up because I had so many. I'd given a bunch to family members and didn't think it was worth it to go get them."
An interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment