Monday, May 25, 2009

Young women love American Idol

I know, I know, it's not exactly breaking news... but according to a poll by the Pew Research Center, the demographic that follows American Idol most closely are young women -- that is women from the age 18-30.

The poll shows that 26 percent of women in this age group follow American Idol "Very" or "Fairly" closely. Me, I didn't know who Adam Lambert was until I was pointed to this video of the Idol runner up massacring "Ring of Fire," the Johnny Cash classic.

The numbers are slowly dropping across the board, a trend that I wholeheartedly support. In fact, I would hope that the numbers accelerate, but that is just me.

Meanwhile, men 18-30 (which is my age group) aren't that enamored with American Idol. Just 13 percent of men in the youngest age group follow American Idol "Very" or "Fairly" closely.

If you take away the number of men who are forced by their girlfriends or wives to watch the show, I would be the number would rapidly approach five percent.

Oh, an 71 percent of people say that they have followed the karaoke competition "Not at all closely."

No comments:

Post a Comment