Tuesday, June 9, 2009

iPhone owners angry at upgrade rates

I have to say, this is one of the dumbest things I've heard. Current iPhone owners are doing "Twititions" to AT&T in the U.S. and O2 in the UK to lower the upgrade rates on the iPhone 3G S -- the new generation of iPhone.

Sorry, but early adapters pay a price.

You pay a price not only in getting a smartphone that doesn't have all the features one would want (capability to send video, etc.) but also you pay a price in that newer, better versions of that product will come out -- and probably cheaper.

Apple is notoriously bad at this (I remember similar sentiments from iPod users when a new iPod would come out). So to those people who are now complaining about not getting a reduced rate just because they currently own an iPhone?

I say tough luck. And it's just going to happen again when 4G arrives, so you better get used to it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you... I had the original iPhone and wasn't happy about upgrading to the 3G (Actually, had I not lost my original phone, I would have been happy with it still as I don't get 3G service where I live and, frankly, don't think it's worth the battery drain.)

    I've found a lot of people who bought iPhones couldn't really afford them in the first place-- the end of the world when they lost theirs, complaining about no contract discount on the original, etc...

    Sorry, I have no sympathy. I'll either stick with the 3G or wait for my contract to come up (or lose my phone again... probably pretty likely.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also like to add that this is how all technology works. Things get better and cheaper.

    Except for cars. Those things just keep getting more expensive, it seems.

    ReplyDelete