Friday, June 26, 2009

The bible of baseball cards

Via, again, NewMexiKen.

The LA Times has a story about The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book" today.
Long ago, when children were allowed to wander from their parents' side for more than 15 minutes, I spent much of my free time accumulating baseball cards.

After school, my buddy Adam Rogers and I would stroll to the candy store and buy multiple packs. We'd sit on a stoop near his apartment, tear open the wrappers, and debate the merits of each player until it grew dark.
I used to collect baseball cards but, for whatever reason, basketball cards were what my brother and I collected the most.

We did care about how much cards cost, hoping that we would get that magical card that was worth $100 or even $1,000. We never did. We would buy Beckett magazines to see how much our cards were worth. Our best card was a card worth $17 -- a "Super Soph" Vin Baker card.

Yeah, that Vin Baker career didn't work out so much.

1 comment:

  1. I thought we had a couple that were worth $40 bucks or so a long time ago, but i don't remember what cards they were.

    ReplyDelete